Legal assistance in care and protection cases                


For children

Legal Aid

Legal Aid's Care and Protection Service provides free legal representation to all children and young people involved in care proceedings before the Children's Court.

For parents & carers

Legal Aid

Legal Aid's Care and Protection Service provide parents and other adult parties with representation in the Children's Court if they are eligible for a grant of legal aid.  For assistance in applying for legal aid or determining whether you are eligible, go to Applying for Legal Aid.

Any party to Children's Court proceedings can obtain assistance from a duty solicitor on the first occasion that the matter is before the Court.  Duty lawyers are available at children's courts throughout the state.  Duty lawyers either work for Legal Aid or are private lawyers paid by Legal Aid to help you.

Aboriginal Legal Service

The Aboriginal Legal Service provide Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander parents and parties with representation in court, advice and information, and referral to further support services.

Law Society of NSW

If you are not represented by Legal Aid, the Law Society provides an online search to help you find a qualified lawyer suitable for your matter. You will need to pay fees for the lawyer. See the Law Society of NSW Solicitor Referral Service.