Representing yourself in court    


People can represent themselves in the Children’s Court, however the law and court procedures can be complicated.  As it can be difficult to know and understand all the laws and procedures that might apply in a particular case, it may be useful to talk to a lawyer.

In deciding whether  to represent yourself or if you have already decided to do so, it may help to research information about the Children’s Court and the relevant law. The following links may provide a useful starting point.

Other useful resources

LawAccess NSW

LawAccess NSW is a free government telephone service that provides legal information, referrals and in some cases, advice.

If you are going to court, have a legal problem or have a question about the law, LawAccess NSW can:

  • give you legal information over the telephone
  • send you written information
  • refer you to another legal or related service
  • in some cases, arrange for one of their lawyers to provide you with telephone legal advice.

LawAccess Online is also great starting point to search for information about the law and legal issues. LawAccess NSW can be contacted on 1300 888 529.

Legal Information Access Centre

The Legal Information Access Centre at the State Library of NSW provides legal answers, in plain language, to everyday questions about the law. Law librarians at the centre can help you find legal information relevant to your issue. The library has an extensive law collection, including legal text books, law journals, legislation and law reports.